www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sacred Heart Peace Memorial ChurchPrint Page Print this page

28-April-2014
28-April-2014

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The church was renamed the Sacred Heart Peace Memorial Church after additions were completed in 1969 and commemorates the pioneers of the church. The church celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1956. 

In 1966 and 1967, John Day received two distinctions to which his reactions give us some insight into his attitudes and his understanding of himself. In 1966, he was advised that the former Deanery of St. Arnaud was abolished and that he had been appointed Dean of the new Deanery of Mildura.  In 1967, on Bishop O'Collins' recommendation, the Holy Father conferred on Dean Day the title of Domestic Prelate. 

One of those Day dreams of Mildura's restless pastor was the reconstruction of the Sacred Heart Church. He envisioned an edifice worthy of the worship of God and one of which the Catholics of Mildura could be proud. Argument there may be, as argument there certainly was, about the implemention of his concept. But there can be little argument that the edifice which now stands as a result of the persevering efforts of Monsignor Day has done a great deal to bolster the unity and morale of the Catholic community of Mildura. He himself waxed eloquent once more when the completed building was blessed and opened in 1969. After summarising the developments in the Parish since 1906, he applied to the occasion the words of the Song of Songs and wrote: "The winter is past, the rain is over and gone, the many sacrifices of our valiant pioneers have come to splendid fruition in the completion of the noble shrine: the Sacred Heart Peace Memorial Church.

Location

Address:261 Eleventh Street, Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Mildura, 3500
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.188017
Long: 142.155072
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 3rd August, 1969
Front Inscription

SACRED HEART PEACE MEMORIAL CHURCH
Blessed And Dedicated By
MOST REV J. P. COLLINS D.D. 
Bishop Of Ballarat
Sunday August 3rd 1968

Source: MA,RSLV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design