Mother Ursula Memorial ChapelPrint Page
Gothic chapel within the convent grounds built by her successor as a memorial to Mother Ursula Frayne (1816-1885), mother superior . Her remains were interred in a vault flanked by a Celtic cross, reminiscent of her origin.
In 1857 Mother Ursula Frayne accepted an invitation from Bishop James Goold to found a school in Victoria. There she established the Sisters of Mercy as the first teaching nuns in Victoria. She oversaw the development of a boarding and day school for girls, together with two primary schools and a domestic training school for orphans. She founded the St Vincent de Paul's Orphanage at South Melbourne and managed it until the Christian Brothers took over the boys' section, leaving the girls under the care of her Sisters. She established a country foundation at Kilmore in 1875.
|Address:||88 Nicholson Street, Convent of Mercy and Academy of Mary Immaculate, Fitzroy, 3065|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.803717|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1887|