Holy Trinity CentenaryPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the opening of the church by Samuel Marsden.
Holy Trinity Church Kelso was the first church consecrated west of the Blue Mountains. The final cost of the church was 1,128 pounds and it was completed a week ahead of schedule on 19 April 1835. The Senior Chaplain Rev. Samuel Marsden dedicated the church on Easter Day 1835.
BATHURST, Sunday. Holy Trinity Church of England at Kelso celebrated its centenary today. Archbishop Mowll dedicated a tablet to commemorate the event, and preached to a large congregation. The little church was too small to accommodate the congregation, members of which consisted chiefly of parishioners and representatives of pioneer families in the Bathurst district who were associated with the church. Holy Trinity was the first church west of the Blue Mountains. It was opened by the Rev. Samuel Marsden in 1835, and was the only consecrated church in the west until 1849. Archbishop Mowll, when referring in his sermon to the historical associations of the church, said: "We need not only thank the pioneers, but must have a similar spirit to-day. The dominions of Australia and New Zealand have been asked to labour with greater vigour. That need will be greater in the years to come, for it is believed that in the Pacific lies the economic, racial, and political future of the world."
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 4 November 1935.
|Address:||75 Gilmour Street, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Kelso, 2795|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.412055|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1835|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1835|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 3rd November, 1935|