St. Luke`s Brookvale PioneersPrint Page
Four palm trees commemorate the pioneer parishioners, (William Francis Parker, Jessie Wilson, Samuel John Childs, and Eliza Bloomfield) of St Luke`s Anglican Church which formerly stood on the site.
The palms were planted in 1927 as a memorial to the soldiers and sailors who were former members of the church and also to honour the pioneer parishioners. The 4 surviving trees are Canary Island Palms (Phoenix canariensis).
There was a large attendance at St. Luke's Church of England, Brookvale, on Saturday afternoon, when a number of palms were planted as a memorial to the soldiers and sailors who were formerly members of the church, and also to honour prominent members of the church. Former parishioners to whose memory palms were planted wore Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Brassington, Mr. Robert McKenna, Miss Joan Parker, Mrs. Eliza Bloomfield, Mr. Wilfred H. Hirst, Mr. Samuel John Childs and Mrs. Jessie Wilson. The memorial palms were subsequently dedicated by tho Rev. A. R. Ebbs, rector of St Matthew's, Manly, who conducted a service in the church, assisted by Mr. P. W Gledhill, lay reader.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW) 4 July 1927.
|Address:||Cross Street & Pittwater Road, Brookvale, 2100|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.765833|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 2nd July, 1927|