Centenary of Christ ChurchPrint Page
Trees commemorate the centenary of Christ Church.
Mr Charles Throsby of Throsby Park gave land for a church, burial ground and parsonage with a glebe of 100 acres at Bong Bong and construction started early in 1845 to the plans of the well known architect, John Verge. It was paid for by Charles Throsby at a cost of 701 pounds. The architecture is attributed to John Verge and the Church was dedicated and consecrated by Bishop William G Broughton in 1845, Bishop of Australia.
Charles Throsby died relatively young and his wife Betsey brought up their 17 children, and, very pious, kept up regular attendance at the "Throsby Church", all her long life. The Church was built on a hill above Bong Bong, the first designated village in the southern highlands of New South Wales, by Governor Macquarie in 1821. The Church celebrated a Centenary Service in 1945 and 150 year service in 1995. To commemorate the occasion, 17 Bhutan cypresses, Cupressus torulosa, one for each Throsby child, were planted in the church grounds in two rows.
|Address:||Church Road, Christ Church Anglican, Moss Vale , 2577|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.537532|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1845|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1945|