www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150 Years of Lutheran WorshipPrint Page Print this page

23-September-2014
23-September-2014

Photographs supplied by John Huth
A monument commemorates 150 years of Lutheran worship in the Ipswich area from 1860 to 2010.

Location

Address:Haigslea Cemetery Road, Haigslea Cemetery , Haigslea, 4306
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.577991
Long: 152.659241
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1860
Approx. Event End Date:2010

Dedication

Front Inscription

St Paul`s Lutheran Church

Haigslea / Kirchheim / Walloon Scrub

A Lutheran Church, to serve the early German settlers, was built on the corner of the present Warrego Highway and Haigslea Lawn Cemetery Road (where the pine trees now stand) 

It was dedicated as St Paul`s by Pastor C. Gaustadt on 9 July 1873.

A manse was erected beside the chruch in 1874.  A new manse was built in 1895 which was subsequently moved to Marburg in 1904.

The church building was destroyed in a storm on 17 November 1923.  A replacement church was built at Haigslea (formerly Kirchheim) and re-dedicated on 13 April 1924.

The last service in this church was held on 7 March 1971.

Pastors who served St Paul`s were :

Pastor E Heiner (from Ipswich)  1866 to 1869
Pastpr C Gaustadt                      1869 to 1879
Pastor J Goessling                     1879 to 1886
Pastor J Frank                            1888 to 1912
Pastor Koch                                1914 to 1915
Pastor M Reuther                       1915
Pastor L Doehler                        1915 to 1971

This plaque, funded by St. Matthew`s Rosewood, commemorates 150 years of Lutheran worship in the Ipswich area. 1860 - 2010

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design