www.monumentaustralia.org.au

125th Anniversary of St Andrew`s ChurchPrint Page Print this page

08-January-2017
08-January-2017
Photographs supplied by John Huth
A plaque commemorates the 125th anniversary of St Andrew`s Church.

Situated approximately two hundred metres uphill from Kedron Brook and set back from the now busy Lutwyche Road, the land was originally purchased as a 47 acre lot by George and John Harris on 5 April, 1859. It was subdivided into once acre lots of which Judge Lutwyche purchased subdivision 16 of the original portion 195 on 12 January 1864. The Judge donated this block to the Church in 1865 in response to the unanimous decision by residents to build a church near Kedron Brook. On St Andrew’s Day (30 November) 1866 a Gothic-Style wooden church was opened, free of debt, due to public subscription.

By 1923 it was recognized that increased accommodation with a new church was required. Mr Louis R. Williams of Melbourne was appointed architect on the advice of the Bishop of Bathurst. The foundation stone was laid for the new Church on St Andrew’s Day 1925 with the Church being opened on 8 August 1926 by the Bishop of Brisbane, Bishop Le Fanu in the presence of the Governor-General Lord Stonehaven and Lady Stonehaven and crowd of over 2000 people.

Location

Address:673 Lutwyche Road, St. Andrew`s Anglican Church, Lutwyche, 4030
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -21.416759
Long: 153.03666
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event STart Date:1866
Actual Event End Date:1991

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1991
Front Inscription

This Plaque Was A Gift Of
The Queensland Women`s Historical Society
To Mark The 125th Anniversary Of This Church.
The Rev. Peter S. B. Elson  1992 - 2002
The Rev. Sandra Kjellgren  2002 -

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design