www.monumentaustralia.org.au

800 Years of the Francisan OrderPrint Page Print this page

09-January-2017
09-January-2017

Photographs supplied by John Huth

A time capsule commemorates 800 years of the Franciscan Order from 1209 to 2009.

The Franciscan Order is a a Christian religious order founded in the early 13th century by St. Francis of Assisi.  The members of the order strive to cultivate the ideals of the order’s founder.

The Franciscans actually consist of three orders. The First Order comprises priests and lay brothers who have sworn to lead a life of prayer, preaching, and penance.  This First Order is divided into three independent branches: the Friars Minor (O.F.M.), the Friars Minor Conventual (O.F.M. Conv.), and the Friars Minor Capuchin (O.F.M. Cap.).

The Second Order consists of cloistered nuns who belong to the Order of St. Clare (O.S.C.) and are known as Poor Clares (P.C.). The Third Order consists of religious and lay men and women who try to emulate Saint Francis’ spirit by performing works of teaching, charity, and social service. The latter order consists of the Third Order Secular, whose lay members live in the world without vows; and the Third Order Regular, whose members live in religious communities under vows.

Congregations of these religious men and women are numerous all over the Roman Catholic world. The Franciscans are the largest religious order in the Roman Catholic church. They have contributed six popes to the church.

 

Location

Address:80 Turner Road, St Therese of Lisieux Catholic Church, Kedron , 4031
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.407751
Long: 153.024839
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1209
Approx. Event End Date:2009

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 7th October, 2009
Front Inscription

This time capsule sealed 7th October 2009 by the Padua College Environment Club

Commemorates 800 years of the Franciscan Order

To open : 7th October 2034

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design