www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of Welsh ChurchPrint Page Print this page

15-March-2017
15-March-2017
Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

A plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the Welsh Church in Melbourne. 

 A number of Welsh Calvinist Methodist communities were established on the goldfields where Welsh churches were also established, notably in Ballarat, Sebastopol and Maldon. Welsh miners had gathered for worship at the Collins Street Baptist Church in December 1852 and from 1853 at the Common School in Collins Street, but in 1854 a site in La Trobe Street was granted by the government for the designated purpose of a Welsh Calvinist Methodist Church. A small chapel was built on this site in 1856, with the words 'Welsh Chapel' written in gilt letters above the door. The Welsh language was an important element of church services, as was music and singing. Services were delivered in both Welsh and English. 

 

Location

Address:320 La Trobe Street, Welsh Church, Melbourne, 3000
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.810514
Long: 144.959921
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 20th July, 2003
Front Inscription

This plaque was unveiled by
Mrs E. Warburton and Mr E. J. Hughes
on July 20th 2003
to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the church.

"For he hath strengthened the bars of the gates and hath blessed
thy children with thee" Ps. 147 v 13

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design