www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Kogarah Presbyterian Church Memorial StonePrint Page Print this page

18-February-2016
18-February-2016

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
The Memorial Stone commemorates the beginning of the construction of the former Kogarah Presbyterian Church in 1893.

OPENING OF NEW PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AT KOGARAH.
On Saturday last the 9th instant, the opening services were held in the new church, the Rev Thomas Hill MA conducting. Addresses were delivered by the Right. Rev. P.Falconer Mackenzie (moderator of the General Assembly) and the Revs. W.S. Frackleton and N. Cook (Congregationalist). The Rev J. F. Briggs also took part.


The church is erected on a corner block having a frontage of 50ft. to Derby street 145 ft. to Kensington street and adjoining the Manse property. The church which stands on an area of 43ft by 33ft., having two entrance porches each 9ft by 8ft., is a very substantial brick building with cavity walls on a strong stone foundation.  There are four windows on each side and a buttress standing out halfway between each,having cement dressings.  The roof, which has a very graceful pitch is covered with Bangor slate and veiled with wood in the form of a semi decagon, having a good appearance, and the acoustic properties are all that could be desired.  The furniture is all of kauri, stained and varnished. The seats are constructed, from an entirely new and original design by the architect Mr. W.J. Thompson B.S.C.E., having complete turnover backs with book and umbrella rests. The platform which stands partly in a recess over which there is a huge Gothic arch, is so arranged that it can be taken down and formed into tables or benches for use at social meetings. There are two vestry rooms on the north and, each 15ft by 8ft, which are intended for class and committee meetings. The pulpit is made in the form of a semi hexagon with panel sides, upon which is placed a beautiful plush cushion, a gift from Miss McCall.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 12-September 1893. 

 

Location

Address:13 Kensington Steet, Kogarah, Kogarah, 2217
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.965772
Long: 151.133361
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 11th March, 1893
Right Side Inscription
KOGARAH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
   MEMORIAL STONE
            LAID BY
           Miss MAZI
     ON 11th MARCH 1893
W.J.THOMPSON B.S.C.E. ARCHITECT
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design