Sisters of MercyPrint Page
The former Convent was established as the St Mary`s Parish Centre in recognition of the Sisters of Mercy.
On 31st October, 1866, seven Sisters of Mercy, under the leadership of Mother Mary Ignatius Croke, arrived in Bathurst, New South Wales, from Charleville, County Cork, Ireland. In Bathurst the Sisters immediately took over the Catholic Primary School, and opened a Day and Boarding High School for young ladies, attending to the religious and secular education of the children. They also cared for orphans, trained older girls and helped them to find work, and visited the poor, the sick and the inmates of the local gaol.
Increasing numbers of nuns allowed the Sisters to found a Convent in Mudgee in 1874.
|Address:||Church Street, St Mary`s Catholic Church , Mudgee, 2850|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.591693|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1880|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1979|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1995|
This building, opened as the
CONVENT OF MERCY in 1880
and closed in 1979
was established as
ST.MARY`S PARISH CENTRE
in recognition of
THE SISTERS OF MERCY