Centenary of the Consecration of St Augustine`s ChurchPrint Page
The church building construction was commenced in 1888 with funds provided by Edward Christopher Merewether. The land and church cost £2,600. The church was dedicated on 5 May 1889 by the Vicar-General of the Diocese of Newcastle, the Rev Canon A E Selwyn. Originally the lease of the land was for 999 years at a token rent of one peppercorn per annum, if called upon. Later the Merewether family adopted a policy of allowing their tenants to convert to freehold. So on the 6 April 1913 the church became the property of the Diocese of Newcastle and was consecrated by Bishop Stretch.
|Address:||Llewellyn & Winsor Streets, St Augustine`s Anglican Church, Merewether, 2291|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.941579|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||05-May-1889|
|Actual Event End Date:||05-May-1989|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 30th April, 1989|
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
THIS STONE WAS BLESSED BY
AUXILIARY BISHOP OF NEWCASTLE
TO MARK THE CENTENARY
OF THE CONSECRATION OF THIS CHURCH
30th APRIL 1989.
A.SMITH - WARDENS L.G.HOLMES - RECTOR