Centenary of St. Stephen`s Presbyterian ChurchPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the laying of the foundation stone of St. Stephen`s Presbyterian Church.
The ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the new Presbyterian Church took place on Thursday, 7th instant, though unfortunately the weather was most unpropitious and must have operated in deterring many from attending who would otherwise have been present. A drizzling rain with a sharp wind were discouraging accompaniments to the proceedings, and made the shelter of a tarpaulin covered platform, erected for the occasion, most welcome. Notwithstanding the discomforting circumstances fully two hundred persons were present, and amongst those was a goodly sprinkling of ladies.
Mr. H. Butterworth, as one of the trustees and elders of the church, then produced a sealed glass jar, containing a half-sovereign, a half crown, a shilling, a sixpence, a three-penny bit, and a bronze penny piece, together with a copy of the Presbyterian Magazine, a printed description of the building, and one copy each of the Bathurst Times, Bathurst Free Press , and Sydney Morning Herald, together with a parchment scroll (a copy of which was read) giving details of the ceremony and the names of the office-holders of the church. This jar was then placed in a cavity prepared for its reception, and other preparations being made, the block of freestone which had suspended in readiness was lowered to its proper position.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 16 September 1871.
|Address:||Howick & George Streets , St. Stephen`s Presbyterian Church, Bathurst, 2795|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.416262|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||17-September-1871|
|Actual Event End Date:||17-September-1971|
This Stone Was
To The Glory Of God
To Mark The Centenary
Laying Of The Foundation Stone
17 - 9 - 1871 — 19 - 9 - 1971