100th Anniversary of The Great SynagoguePrint Page
A plaque commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Great Synagogue and 150 years of Jewish worship in Sydney. The Synagogue was opened on the 4th March 1878.
Monday, the 4th March, was a memorable day among the Hebrew people of Australia, for there was opened in Sydney one of the most beautiful temples to the living God in the Southern Hemisphere - the great Hebrew Synagogue, Hyde Park, between Elizabeth and Castlereagh streets. This grand structure is an ornament to the city. It was erected at the cost of tens of thousands of pounds at great sacrifice, for, wealthy as the Jewish people are, their numbers are small and the building is very costly. To celebrate the opening the preparations were perfect, and the ceremonies were of a character which has rarely been the lot of the people of Sydney to witness. To do honour and pay respect to our fellow colonists and friends of the Jewish faith, there assembled not only the wealth, rank, and, may we add, the beauty of the city, but representatives of politics, literature, and the churches of nearly all denominations. The Honourable John Hay, President of the Legislative Council, and Mrs. Hay, Sir G. V. Allen, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, the Hon. H.E. Cohen, the Hon. W. J. Foster, and the Hon. Joseph Leary, members of the Ministry, and several members of both Houses of Parliament ; Mr. T. Buckland, Mr. T. Walker, Rev. T. Johnson, Dr. Hogg, &c, were accommodated with seats in the body of the Synagogue.
Excerpt from Australian Town and Country Journal (Sydney),
9 March 1878.
|Address:||187a Elizabeth Street, The Great Synagogue Sydney, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.872569|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1828|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1978|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 16th April, 1978|
This Plaque Unveiled On 16th April 1978 - 9th Nisan, 5738
By His Excellency The Governor Of New South Wales
Sir Roden Cutler V.C. K.C.M.G. K.C.V.O. C.B.E.
Commemorates The One Hundredth Anniversary Of The Great Synagogue On Its Present Site And One Hundred And Fifty Years Of Jewish Worship In Sydney.
Raymond Apple, Rabbi Sidney Sinclair, President
Isidor Gluck, Cantor R. S. Stack, Vice-President
Isaac N. Goodman, Secretary Rodney I. Rosenblum, Treasurer