St James Anglican Church Commemorative Stone Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
Memorial stone commemorates the laying of the original foundation stone at St James Church in 1864 and 150 years of faithful ministry.

The laying of the foundation stone of St. James's Church, Dandenong, yesterday, by His Excellency the Governor, created quite an excitement amongst the residents of the neighbourhood. Preparations on a large scale were made for the event, and the appearance of the township with decorative floral arches, and bunting floating over every house, made the place look quite gay. At nine am., a detachment of the Prince of Wales Light Horse, under command of Captain Dyer, were at Toorak, to escort His Excellency Sir Charles Darling and Miss Darling to the township.

Having arrived at the ground, the Very Rev. Dean Macartney, the Rev. Whitmore Carr, M A., and the Rev. W. H. Lydiard, proceeded to the religious portion of the ceremonial. Mr. B. C. Walker, J.P., presented a handsome silver trowel to His Excellency, for the masonic portion of the work, and when the foundation stone was declared duly laid, congratulatory addresses were made by the Governor and the Very Rev. Dean Macartney. A copy of The Argus, with documents recording the names of the trustees-Rev. W. Carr,  Messrs. Smithson, Dobson, Candler and Greaves-and sundry coins of the realm having been deposited in a bottle and placed in the stone, the company went to a large marquee, erected for the purpose of partaking of a
The Argus (Melbourne, 6th July 1864. 


Address:53 Langhorne Street, St James Anglican Church, Dandenong, Dande
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.990484
Long: 145.218133
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event STart Date:05-July-1864
Actual Event End Date:05-July-2014


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 20th July, 2014
Front Inscription
                1864 - 2014
                  St James
       150 years of faithful ministry

Commemorative stone laid on 20 July 2014

This stone commemorates the laying of the original foundation stone of St James' Anglican Church, Dandenong, in the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne by 
    His Excellency, The Governor of Victoria
          Sir Charles Darling K.C.B
               on 5th July 1864 

              In the presence of 

The Most Reverend Dr Philip Freier
         Archbishop of Melbourne
Primate of the Anglican Church of Australia

The Reverend Jeffrey Parker
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design