Mission BrethrenPrint Page
A stained glass window commemorates brethren of the Melanesian Mission who had been kiiled whilst on Norfolk Island. A plaque in English and the Mota language is below the windows.
Tuesday, December 7.—To-day was the day fixed for the consecration of St. Barnabas Church. The weather was delightful, and all were astir in the mission grounds before 6 o'clock. The islanders were in gala dress, the men in blue trousers, white shirts, and bright coloured neckties, while the women wore white jackets and fancy petticoats. They all breakfasted with the Bishop and his guests, and then at a quarter to 10 o'clock the Bishop and clergy assembled in the old schoolroom to robe. Then came the procession to the new church.
The style of of architecture is Gothic, and the material employed a yellowish-brown sandstone obtained on the island. The nave, which measures 54 by 27 feet, is divided externally into three bays by heavy buttresses, which project to a distance of five feet, and similar buttress are placed between the five windows of the apse. The height of the walls from floor to wallplate is 17 feet, and in the chancel 19 feet. The whole of the interior walls are dressed. The apex of the apse is surmounted by an ornamental wrought-iron cross seven feet high. The chancel is formed in a semicircular apse, the cord of which is 24 by 12 feet, and the five chancel windows bear paintings representing the four evangelists, with the figure of our Saviour wearing a crown in the centre. The shafts of the windows are of Devonshire marble, and the capitals are beautifully carved by the Rev. R. H. Codrington, who has ably supervised the whole work. These windows are the gift of Lady Downe (Dowager Viscountess). The west rose window over the door and two small foliated windows are the gift of the late and present members of the mission, as a memorial to those who have been killed, viz , Fisher Young and Edwin Nobbs, at Santa Cruz, in 1864; Rev. Joseph Atkin and Stephen Taroaniara, at Nukapu, in 1871.
Excerpt from Consecration of Patterson Memorial Church,
South Australian Register (Adelaide), 8 January 1881.
|Address:||Douglas Drive, St. Barnabas Chapel, Norfolk Island, 2899|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.034207|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1880|
Turpea lele kel o Malagene Ape Malagene, pa we sea nan O Vawia.
The translation reads, "This window is set to remember those shot by the heathen, while ministering the Gospel in the islands. Not rendering evil for evil, but contrariwise blessing."