Centenary of Sisters of Mercy & Catholic EducationPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the Sisters of Mercy and Catholic Education in Tatura.
On the 2nd November 1900 four sisters arrived to occupy the convent built for them. Sister Mary Francis, Sister M. Alphonsus, Sister M. Stanislaus and Siser M. Ignatius. On the 4th November a 2 room Primary School and High School opened in Tatura.
In 1901 St. Mary's College (Hall) opened. The Sisters of Mercy started accepting boarders to combat the problems of travelling to and from school. Travel was slow and families living much beyond a few miles from the school had little opportunity to receive a Catholic Education.
|Address:||69-75 Hogan Street, Sacred Heart Primary School, Tatura, 3616|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.439922|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1900|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2000|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 29th October, 2000|
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES THE CENTENARY OF THE SISTERS OF MERCY AND CATHOLIC EDUCATION IN TATURA AT SACRED HEART SCHOOL (1900 - 2000) AND ST MARY`S COLLEGE (1901-1967)
29 - 10 - 2000