www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of St. Brigids ChurchPrint Page Print this page

07-July-2014
07-July-2014

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders
A plaque commemorates the centenary of St. Brigids Church.

The Initiation Of The Movement. For some considerable time it had been apparent to the Roman Catholic community at Crossley that the church in which most of the adult members of the congregation had been baptised, and, later on, married, was altogether inadequate to the requirements of the large and influential district it served, so the farmers and other residents set to work with commendable zeal and energy to bring about a change in the old order of things, and with that aim always in view, and stimulated by their worthy pastor, Reverend Father Kerin, they held meetings and made a systematic canvass of the neighborhood in order to ascertain the wishes of the people regarding the erection of a new church. The response from every quarter was unanimously and enthusiastically given in favor of the new building. Tenders were called for its erection and liberal support was given and promised. On Sunday evening, October 12, 1913, at a large and influential meeting, presided over by His Lordship Dr Higgins, Bishop of Ballarat, at which the architect, Mr A. A. Fritsch, was also present, the tenders were opened, and that of Messrs F. and E. Deague, contractors, Melbourne, for £5439, was accepted, and the work of the foundations was commenced on October 24.
Port Fairy Gazette (Vic), 29 June 1914.

Location

Address:Penshurst - Port Fairy Road, St Brigids Church, Crossley, 3283
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.31972
Long: 142.325402
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event STart Date:28-June-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-2014

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2014
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This Stone Was Laid
To Commemorates The
Centenary Of
Saint Brigids Church
On The 28th Of June 2014.

Plaque :

This Stone Was Laid By
The Most Revd Joseph Higgins, D.D.
Bishop Of Ballarat 
On Sunday The 28th Of June. A.D. 1914

F & E Deague  Contractors
A. A. Fritsch  F.R.V.I.A. Melb.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design