Mothers UnionPrint Page
A seat commemorates 100 years of the Mothers Union in the Brisbane Diocese from 1904 to 2004.
The Mothers' Union (MU) began in the diocese in 1904 in the Brisbane suburb of Milton. A MU branch, concerned about the many deaths of women and small children in the district, paid for a nursing sister, Miss Emma Packer, to visit the homes of the poor. She used a bicycle to go on her rounds. This was the beginning of "The Mothers' Union District Nurses' Association". That association, formerly known as St. Luke's Nursing Service, is now known as "Anglicare", a large Anglican Domiciliary Nursing Service.
|Address:||373 Ann Street, St John`s Cathedral, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.463707|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1904|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2004|
Donated in Thanksgiving
For 100 years of Mothers Union
in Brisbane Diocese
by its members
1904 - 2004