Centenary of All Saints ChurchPrint Page
Built of stone the mortuary station fell into disrepair and by the 1950s the building's roof had been destroyed in a bushfire. The Anglican Rector of North Canberra successfully tendered one hundred pounds for the burnt out railway station and in June 1958 the foundation stone of All Saints Church in Ainslie was laid. The new Church, incorporating the stone elements of the former railway station, was designed by W. Pierce and involved the transport and reassembling of 787 tons of stone. The builder, Stan Taunton, spent much time on site at Rookwood making section drawings of the railway station, supervising demolition of the building and numbering each stone block before transporting them to Canberra by semi-trailer. Pierce's design for the new Church included repositioning the bell tower from one side of the building to the other, glazing the open sides of the station, installing doors on the transepts and converting the stationmaster's rooms into vestries (Boden). The Church was dedicated on All Saints Day, 1 November 1959.
|Address:||Cowper & Foveaux Streets, All Saints Anglican Church, Ainslie, 2602|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.264722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 2nd November, 1969|
This Stone From St. George`s Chapel, Windsor,
Was Unveiled By
His Excellency The Right Honourable
Sir Paul Hasluck, G.C.M.G., K.St.J.
Governor General Of The Commonwealth of Australia
Commemorating The Centenary Of This Building
And The Tenth Anniversary Of Its Dedication
As All Saints`, Canberra.
2nd November, 1969.
The Right Reverend K. J. Clements, B.A., Th. D.
Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn.
C. J. Wadie, H. S. Clarke, W.. L. Perry, Wardens.
The Reverend N. J. Chynoweth, E.D., M.A., Th. L. Rector.