Centenary of the Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph`sPrint Page
Plaque incorporated into a column and time capsule commemorate the centenary of the establishment of the congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph in Goulburn in 1882. The plaque pays tribute to Reverend Tenison Woods founder of the Sisters of St Joseph with Mary MacKillop (Saint Mary MacKillop) in 1866.
The Sisters of Saint Joseph arrived in Goulburn on 13th August, 1882. The first five Sisters of St. Joseph arrived in Goulburn by train from Bathurst. They were:
- Sister M Evangelist Duggan (Irish, aged 22 years) - the leader.
- Sister M Ignatius O'Brien (Australian born in Campbelltown NSW, aged 27 years)
- Sister M Teresa Fallon (Irish, aged 21 years)
- Sister M Patrick (Irish, aged 20 years)
- Sister M Joseph Cahill (Irish, aged 18 years)
Upon arrival, the Sisters lived in a cottage in Lagoon Street which belonged to the Sheekey family. They lived there until 5th May, 1883 when the Convert was opened.
|Address:||Reynolds Street, St Joseph`s Convent, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.747596|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||13-August-1882|
|Actual Event End Date:||13-August-1982|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 13th August, 1982|
TO COMMEMORATE THE CENTENARY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CONGREGATION OF OF THE SISTERS OF ST JOSEPH THE TREE NEARBY WAS PLANTED AND THIS PLAQUE UNVEILED.
WE WHO WERE HERE AT THE FIRST CENTENARY HONOURED THE FAITH, COURAGE AND DEDICATION OF THE PIONEER SISTERS AND OF THE REVEREND JULIAN EDMUND TENISON WOODS FOUNDER 1832 TO 1889. HIS CONTRIBUTION TO THE CHURCH IN AUSTRALIA WAS UNIQUE.
HIS LEGACY INCLUDED TWO CONGREGATIONS OF SISTERS SERVING THE PEOPLE OF GOD ACCORDING TO THE IDEALS OF SIMPLICITY, PRAYER AND POVERTY; THE CONCEPT OF CATHOLIC SCHOOLS IN EVERY PARISH, ESPECIALLY FOR THE CHILDREN OF THE POOR; AND A TRADITION OF CULTURE, STUDY, WRITING AND SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH.
GEOLOGICAL SPECIMENS FROM AREAS WHERE HE WORKED ARE INCORPORATED INTO THIS COLUMN.
THE TIME CAPSULE
BENEATH THIS PLAQUE
WAS SEALED AT THE FIRST
AND IS TO BE OPENED ON
13TH AUGUST 2032