St Joseph`s Novitiate Memorial StonePrint Page
Memorial stone commemorates the blessing and laying of the foundation stone of the St Joseph`s Novitiate in 1915.
Sunday, October. 3rd, 1915, will be a memorable day in the annals of the Sacred Heart Convent, North Goulburn. It marks the beginning of a new era in the development of the institution, for on that day his Lordship Dr. Gallagher solemnly blessed the foundation stone of the new Novitiate and Infirmary that will add beauty and strength to the already stately buildings which grace the north-eastern end of Reynolds street of this city.
The Sisters of St. Joseph, founded by the saintly Father Woods, have, as an especial mission the enlightenment of youth, to go down to the country towns and bushlands of Australia to prepare children for the combat of life, and to instil into the hearts of youth the principles of the Christian faith and the golden idea's of heaven. And how faithful have the good Sisters been to their noble calling, and what zeal and energy they throw into their work, the priests and people of the diocese of Goulburn bore witness on Sunday last in the many donations given as tokens of recognition of the glorious endeavours the Sisters are making.
The weather was fresh and bracing. Long before the appointed time the crowds were gathering in the convent grounds, but the waiting was rendered joyful by the stirring music of the Light Horse Band. Just on the stroke of three a procession, headed by choir boys of SS. Peter and Paul's Cathedral, followed by the school children, young lady boarders of the Sacred Heart Convent, the members of the Hibernian Society and of the Catholic Guilds, the Cathedral clergy,and of the Passionist Retreat, Mary's Mount, and lastly his Lordship Dr. Gallagher, left the schoolroom, and proceeded to where the stone was to be laid.
Freeman's Journal (Sydney), 7 October 1915.
|Address:||Reynolds Street, St Joseph`s Convent, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.747598|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 3rd October, 1915|
THIS MEMORIAL STONE
OF ST JOSEPH`S NOVITIATE
WAS SOLEMNLY BLESSED AND LAID BY
THE RIGHT REV. Dr GALLAGHER
BISHOP OF GOULBURN
ROSARY SUNDAY 1915.