150th Anniversary of Van Diemen's Land PresbyteryPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the 150th Anniversary of the foundation of the Van Diemen's Land Presbytery in November 1835.
Since 9th April 1831 in Van Diemen's Land, there have been meetings held by people called together as Presbyterians. On this date the Scottish inhabitants of Launceston met to consider building a place of worship in the colony.
Four years later, on 6th November 1835 the Presbytery of Van Diemen's land became officially established in the Scottish National Church in Charles Street. This Presbytery is the second oldest in Australia.
In 1985, on the occasion of the 150th Anniversary of this event, a memorial plaque was erected near the St. John Street door of the present St. Andrew's Kirk.
|Address:||36 St John Street, St Andrew`s Kirk, Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.436139|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||06-November-1835|
|Actual Event End Date:||06-November-1995|
Launceston's first Presbyterian congregation formed 1831
Scotch National Church opened for worship 1833
Foundation Stone of this church laid by H. E. Sir William Denison Lieutenant - Governor of Van Diemen's Land 1849
St Andrew`s Kirk opened for worship 1850
To the glory of God to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the establishment of the Presbytery of Van Diemen's Land at Launceston on 6th November 1835.
Rev. Dr. John Dunmore Lang First Moderator
Rev. John Mackersey First Clerk