1000 years of Christianity in PolandPrint Page
A confessional in the church was erected to commemorate 1000 years of Christianity in Poland (966-1966). This shrine commemorating these events consists of an altar, erected by local Polish builder, Jan Siejka, backed by a reredos on which is a reproduction, painted by a Polish artist, the late Alex Szolomiak, of the painting 'The Black Madonna'.
By tradition, Christianity was brought to Poland in 966 by Saint Albert of Bohemia. The Church was established in Gniezno, the first capital of the kingdom, and spread to Posnow, then to Pomerania, Little Poland and Silesia.
The painting, properly called 'Our Lady of Czestochowa', came to that city from Ruthenia in 1384 and hung in a Pauline monastery. It is known as the miraculous picture because of numerous miracles that have been worked over the centuries in connection with the picture. Czestochowa is the principal place of pilgrimage in Poland, and the shrine and the picture have survived innumerable wars up to and including two World Wars and communist occupation.
Celebrations of the Millenium of Christianity in Poland began in Launceston with the Australian Peregrination of 'Our Lady of Czestochowa'. A copy of the famous painting was brought from Poland to Rome and blessed by Pope John XXIII in 1962. It was then brought to Australia and began to circulate through the States, finishing at a special War Memorial Church in Bathurst, New South Wales, where it is permanently enshrined.
The Polish Shrine at the Church of Apostles is a permanent reminder of the spiritual purpose of the Peregrination. The cost was met by the Polish community in Northern Tasmania and includes a beautiful gold chalice, made by Saunders of Sydney, and embellished with the Polish eagle set with diamonds. This chalice is used on all occasions when Mass is said for the Polish community.
|Address:||44 Margaret Street, Church of the Apostles Catholic Church, Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.442831|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Jan Siekja (Launceston, TAS)|
This confessional was donated by the Siejka Family as a commemoration of the 1000th jubilee of Christianity of Poland 966-1966