Restoration of the BellsPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the restoration and re-hanging of the eight bells in the western tower of St Johns Cathedral.
The bells have a long and interesting history, having first been purchased by public subscription back in 1876. Originally hung for chiming at the Pro-Cathedral in George Street, they were moved to the present Cathedral site in 1910 where they were hung in a temporary wooden tower and chimed for service. It was only in 1988 that the bells were finally hung in the Cathdral proper for full-circle ringing, being dedicated on the 13th March 1988.
|Address:||373 Ann Street, St John`s Cathedral, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.463707|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st May, 1988|
A. M. D. G.
This stone was unveiled on 1st May 1988 by Her Majesty the Queen to commemorate the restoration and re-hanging of the peal of eight bells in the western tower and the installation of two new bells