Centenary of Christ Church Foundation Stone Print Page
Plaque commemorates the centenary of the laying of the Christ Church foundation stone in 1843.
In 1843 the foundation stone of Christ Church, Geelong, was laid by Bishop Broughton, first Anglican bishop of Australia. Bishop Broughton was appointed archdeacon and chaplain to the Australian colonists by the Duke of Wellington, and subsequently became Bishop. On his second trip to Victoria from Sydney he visited Geelong, and, in very rough weather, was rowed for five and a half miles from the ship to the landing place. He laid the foundation stone of the church on October 7. Chronicle (Adelaide), 19th October 1933
|Address:||Moorabool & McKillop Streets, Christ Church Anglican , Geelong, 3220|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.153119|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||7th-October-1843|
|Actual Event End Date:||7th-October-1943|
THIS STONE COMMEMORATES THE CENTENARY
OF THE LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION STONE OF
THIS CHURCH ON 7TH OCTOBER 1843
AND RECORDS THE NAMES OF THE INCUMBENTS
1845 REV .E .COLLINS 1914 REV H.S.HOLLOW M.A.
1855 " G.GOODMAN M.A. CANON 1918 " C.K.COLE M.A.
1906 " C.H.NASH M.A. " 1922 " E.SCHWEIGER Th.L.
1908 " F.W.NEWTON " 1932 " D.M.DEASEY M.A.
1942 REV.R.D. PEATT M.A., B.D.
Through the efforts of Sir Charles Sladen
the foundation stone of this building
was laid Oct 7th 1843 by W.G.Broughton D.D.
Lord Bishop of Sydney and the Church consecrated
Oct 25 1859 by Charles Perry D.D. Lord Bishop