St. Ildephonsus College CentenaryPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the college and acknowledges the influence and occupancy of the Marist Brothers at St Ildephonsus College between 1913 and 1964.
On February 22nd, 1913 the Marist Brothers formally opened their first foundation in Western Australia, St Ildephonsus College, a boarding school, in the grounds of the Benedictine Mission at New Norcia.
The Marist Brothers had entered into a partnership with these Spanish monks who had been labouring in this district for the previous 67 years, ministering to the local indigenous people. The Marist Brothers had come to Western Australia at the express invitation of the then Abbott, the Right Reverend Dr Torres. On that day, at a special ceremony, the Governor of Western Australia, Sir Gerald Strickland, declared the college opened. There were many other distinguished guests present including Mr T Walker, the Minister for Education, Mr Drew Colonial Secretary and that famed Western Australian statesman and his wife, Sir John and Lady Forrest. All had motored up from Perth for the occasion.
|Address:||Great Northern Highway, St. Idelphonsus College , New Norcia, 6509|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.96916|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1913|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2013|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 20th October, 2013|