Old Lockhart River Mission SitePrint Page
Plaque erected in memory of those who shared the life on the Lockhart River Mission between 1924 -1967.
Beginning in 1924, Aboriginal people gathered and were collected from eastern regions of Cape York and placed at the Anglican Church Mission at Orchid Point near the Lockhart River, which had been a centre for the sandalwood trade. Six months later, the Mission was relocated to Bare Hill, south of Cape Direction.
After the Second World War broke out, the European superintendent went on furlough in 1942 and the Aboriginal people were told to go to several bush camps and fend for themselves. After 4 to 6 months, the mission was re-established but with poor resources and lack of funding. A better period followed in the 1950s under superintendent John Warby. A Cooperative Society operated during this time while in the trochus shell industry until prices failed. New housing was built and separate group villages were brought together into one on the coastal side.
In 1967, the Anglican Church handed over the mission to the Queensland Government who tried to relocate the people to Bamaga. Most of the people refused to go. In 1968-9, the people were relocated from the traditional area of the Uutaalnganu people on the coast to a new site in Kuuku Ya'u country further north and inland from Quintel Beach. This move and the assimilation policy of the new government administration resulted in much discontent and friction.
|Address:||St James Church, Old Lockhart River , Lockhart River, 4871|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -12.960999|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||1924|
|Actual Event End Date:||1967|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1974|
IN MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO SHARED THE LIFE
LOCKHART RIVER MISSION