www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Warrandyte Aboriginal Reserve Print Page Print this page

02-May-2016
02-May-2016

Photographs supplied by Neil Follett

Two bronze commemorative plaques on rocks unveiled by Wurundjeri Tribe Council Elders mark two eastern boundaries of the former Warrandyte Aboriginal Reserve on the north and south sides of the Yarra.

This project was initiated by Nillumbik Reconciliation Group in close association with Reconciliation Manningham and the Wurundjeri Tribe Council, as a means of commemorating the last great corroboree of the Kulin Nation which was held at Pound Bend in March 1852.

Traditional performance and games were played as part of the two week long festivities, and it effectively drew the curtain on traditional tribal life in Victoria. It was a purposeful symbolic act by the charismatic Headman of the Wurundjeri, Simon Wonga, which then allowed him to pursue his vision of establishing a viable economic base for his people in the new world that confronted them. Wonga, and his equally charismatic cousin William Barak, were finally able to achieve this vision in 1863 by securing a grant of land at Coranderrk in Healesville.

The plaques have been funded with a Robert Bridgford Indigenous Trust Grant from Nillumbik Shire Council and assistance from Manningham City Council Small Grants Program.

Plaque 1 - Access via Everard Drive, Warrandyte. Just after you cross the bridge over Andersons Creek, there is a carpark on the right. The plaque is on one of many rocks at the far end of the carpark.

Plaque 2 - Access via The Boulevard, North Warrandyte. The plaque is set on a rock approximately 50 metres before the turning circle at the end of The Boulevard.
 

Location

Address:Everard Drive, River, near Taroona Reserve , Warrandyte, 3113
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.742447
Long: 145.206669
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Indigenous

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 23rd March, 2013
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Warrandyte Aboriginal Reserve 

This commemorative rock marks an eastern boundary of the former Warrandyte Aboriginal Reserve established in 1852.  Centred on Pound Bend, it covered 1,908 acres on both sides of the Yarra River (Birrarung).    That same year saw the last great gathering of the Kulin nation here in Wurundjeri country which was celebrated over two weeks with traditional performance and games.  For a few years longer the reserve intermittently served as a ration station.

With gold having been discovered at Warrandyte, the Wurundjeri were moved on again but ultimately secured a permanent hoem at Coranderrk, Healesville.

A second commemorative plaque and rock is located on the opposite bank of the Yarra and its confluence with Anderson Creek (Beal Yallock). Melway ref : 23 C 12

Unveiled by Wurundjeri Elder, Auntie Diane Kerr on 23rd March 2013

Funded by the Robert Bridgford Indigenous Trust (Nillumbik Community Fund) with assistance from Manningham City Council Small Grants Program

Plaque :

Warrandyte Aboriginal Reserve 

This commemorative rock marks an eastern boundary of the former Warrandyte Aboriginal Reserve established in 1852.  Centred on Pound Bend, it covered 1,908 acres on both sides of the Yarra River (Birrarung).    That same year saw the last great gathering of the Kulin nation here in Wurundjeri country which was celebrated over two weeks with traditional performance and games.  For a few years longer the reserve intermittently served as a ration station.

With gold having been discovered at Warrandyte, the Wurundjeri were moved on again but ultimately secured a permanent hoem at Coranderrk, Healesville.

A second commemorative plaque and rock is located on the opposite bank of the Yarra and its confluence with Stony Creek. Melway ref : 23 C 9

Unveiled by Wurundjeri Elder, Uncle Bill Nicholson on 23rd March 2013

Funded by the Robert Bridgford Indigenous Trust (Nillumbik Community Fund) with assistance from Manningham City Council Small Grants Program

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design