Stolen Generations MemorialPrint Page
Memorial to sixteen children who were removed from their homes.
The Phillip Creek Mission was established in 1945 as an interim ration depot for Aboriginal people displaced from land following the discovery of gold in the Tennant Creek region in the 1930s. By 1956 the site was abandoned as a new permanent site was established at Warrabri. In 1946 the Native Affairs Department approved the removal of sixteen part Aboriginal children from Manga Manda to the Retta Dixon Home in Darwin.
In 2004, eleven survivors of that group returned to the place of their abduction to dedicate a memorial at the long abandoned settlement. They also wanted to close the door on their affiliations with the Retta Dixon Home and reaffirm their ties with their own Aboriginal families.
|Address:||Phillip Creek Native Settlement, Manga Marda Waterhole, Tennant Creek, 0860|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.284167|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||June-2004|