Truganini ParkPrint Page
A park commemorates the Tasmanian Aboriginal People and their descendants.
The Tasmanian Aborigines (whose aboriginal name was Palawa) were the indigenous people of the island state of Tasmania. Prior to British colonisation in 1803, there were an estimated 2,000–8,000 Palawa. By 1830 in Tasmania disease had killed most of them but warfare between them and the British colonists and private violence had also been devastating.
By 1833, George Augustus Robinson persuaded the approximately 200 Tasmanian Aborigines survivors to surrender themselves with assurances that they would be protected and provided for. They were moved to Wybalenna Aboriginal Establishment on Flinders Island, where diseases continued to reduce their numbers even further. In 1847, the last 47 living inhabitants of Wybalenna were transferred to Oyster Cove, south of Hobart, on the main island of Tasmania.
There, the very last of the full blooded Palawa, a woman called Trugernanner (often rendered as Truganini), died in 1876. Today, some thousands of people living in Tasmania and elsewhere can trace part of their ancestry to the Palawa, since a number of Palawa women were abducted, most commonly by the sealers living on smaller islands in Bass Strait.
|Address:||700 Nelson Road, Truganini Walking Track , Mount Nelson, 7007|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.924198|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 8th May, 1976|
Truganini died 8th May 1876.
Truganini Park 8th May 1976.
Dedicated to the Tasmanian Aboriginal People and their descendants