Bamaga SettlementPrint Page
Memorial commemorates the original settlers of Bamaga.
Bamaga, on the western side of the tip of Cape York Peninsula, was governed by the Bamaga Island Council until 2008, when it was amalgamated with four other Aboriginal communities to form the Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council. It was named after the Saibai Island elder, Bamaga Ginau (1893-1949) who led the settlement from the island to the mainland.
Torres Strait Islanders serving in World War Two armed services noted the better land available during their Cape York patrols, and, led by Ginau, the Saibai men persuaded their community to move off the island.
A small number moved to Muttee Heads, south-west of Bamaga, and flooding in 1948 persuaded another 250 to move. In July 1948 a government reservation was made for them, and in 1952 construction of the Bamaga township began. A hospital, school, store and houses were erected, with construction substantially completed by 1954. Orchards, market gardens and a sawmill were established, supplying local and Thursday Island markets.
|Address:||Adidi Street, Bamaga , 4876|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -10.886643|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
BAMAGA, A TORRES STRAIT SAIBAI ISLANDER , LED SEVERAL HUNDRED OF HIS PEOPLE IN AN EXODUS FROM SAIBAI ISLAND TO CAPE YORK PENINSULA IN 1946. BAMAGA WAS CHAIRMAN OF THE SAIBAI ISLAND COUNCIL AND AN OUTSTANDING PERSONALITY AMONGST TORRES STRAIT ISLANDERS . HE DIED ON 5TH MARCH 1949.
THE PEOPLE WERE FIRST ESTABLISHED AT MUTTEE HEAD AND LATER TRANSFERED TO THE PRESENT SITE WHERE THE TOWNSHIP OF BAMAGA WAS ESTABLISHED ON AN AREA OF 97.620 ACRES: NOW KNOWN AS THE NORTHERN PENINSULA AREA RESERVE "AND SO BAMAGA CAME INTO BEING"
ERECTED IN RECOGNITION OF THE ORIGINAL SETTLERS BY BAMAGA COMMUNITY AND COUNCIL