Legacy Remembers Memorial FountainPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams / John Huth

The Memorial Fountain commemorates those who have died in service or have been killed in action in conflicts in which Australia has been involved; and details the role of Legacy in helping the families of defence force personnel. The fountain contains a small horse trough for donations. The inscription contains the history and charitable role of the organisation.

Legacy is a charity providing services to Australian families suffering financially and socially after the incapacitation or death of a spouse or parent, during or after their defence force service.

In 1923 Sir John Gellibrand founded the Remembrance Club in Hobart. Its aim was to encourage returned servicemen in business. Stanley Savige, a former 24 Battalion Officer who had also served on Gellibrand's brigade staff, visited Hobart in August 1923. Gellibrand urged him to set up a similar club in Melbourne.

Soon after Savige's return to Melbourne, a group of ex-servicemen met to farewell one of their number who was about to go to England. Savige used this opportunity to bring up the idea of a club similar to Gellibrand's Remembrance Club. After several informal meetings, the Melbourne club's inaugural meeting was held in ANZAC House in Melbourne. For the next 26 years, due to his commitment, energy and enthusiasm, Savige's name became inseparable from both the club and the movement.

In 1925 it was suggested that Legacy should look into caring for the children of deceased servicemen.


Address:Argyle Street, The Rocks, 2000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.859101
Long: 151.208089
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture


Front Inscription


Plaque :

No Nation In The World Cares For
The Families Of Its War Dead With As
Much Generosity And Love As Australia
Does Through This Extraordinary
Ex-serviceman`s Organisation. 
                             James A. Michener


Left Side Inscription
(Mary Reibey Plaque)
see separate entry 
Right Side Inscription

Captain Stanley Savige formed Legacy in 1923, as an offshoot of the Remembrance Club founded by Major General Sir John Gellibrand to help former servicemen struggling to re-establish themselves after World War I.

The Legacy Club changed its role in 1925 after entertaining a group of widows with their children. A uniquely Australian organisation, Legacy's charter is to care and support the fatherless families of comrades who had served this country in a war area and subsequently died of any cause.

The members of Legacy, Legatees, give their time to look after families alotted to them. They also serve on committees helping out with education, welfare, pensions, medical, dental and legal aid. Expenses are met by public donations.

The Horse Trough, donated by the family of the late E.J.N. Tomkins, was carved c1800 for use on their former property "Prestonville", Richmond, N.S.W.

The memorial was generously sponsored by the Legacy Club of Sydney. Legacy is a true expression of the Australian spirit of comradeship.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design