80th Anniversary of Albury Legacy Print Page
A memorial stone and stencil sculpture depicting a war widow and her two children commemorates the 80th anniversary of legacy in Albury. The memorial was adapted from the bronze statue that stands at the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne and honours the work of all Legatees who had cared for widows and children.
Legacy is a charity providing services to Australian families suffering financially and socially after the incapacitation or death of a spouse or parent, during or after their defence force service.
Albury Legacy was formed early in the movement`s history and came about from a meeting in the George Hotel Albury on the 11 May 1932 in which 7 men resolved to form a Legacy Club and set about recruiting the required 20 men. The 8th June 1932 saw the required 20 men enrolled, a charter was applied for, and on the 6 August 1932 at a Dinner hosted by Melbourne Legacy, the “Legacy Club of Albury” was formed.
|Address:||588 Olive Street, Legacy House, Albury, 2640|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.077478|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th May, 2012|
Dedicated To The Families Of Those Veterans
Who Paid The Supreme Sacrifice And To The
Legatees Who Have Since Passed On
This Memorial Also Commemorates 80 Years
Of Service By The Legacy Club Of Albury
In Providing For Those Families Left Behind
26th May 2012