Old Colonists CottagesPrint Page
The Old Colonists Homes complex of 142 self-contained homes and ancillary buildings was established by actor, philanthropist and entrepreneur George Coppin in 1870 to provide accommodation for elderly colonists who, through no fault of their own, had fallen on hard times. A neighbouring development of two houses for Coppin`s Old Actors Association was taken over by the Old Colonists Association in 1906.
The Old Colonists Association was concerned to record and commemorate the efforts of Victoria`s earliest colonists, as well as to assist old colonists and promote the advancement of native-born (European) Victorians, and originally residence in the Homes was restricted to those who had arrived in the colony before 1851.
Each building is marked by a memorial stone showing the date and donor.
|Address:||20 Rushall Crescent, Fitzroy North, 3065|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.785278|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.