Centenary of Cambrian ChoirPrint Page
A Plaque commemorates the centenary of the Cambrian Choir.
The Blackstone-Ipswich Cambrian Choir was founded in 1886, as an adult choir, with the express purpose of competing in what was to become the Queensland Eisteddfod. It is now reputed to be Queensland's longest continuously-performing choir.
A significant Welsh community began to establish itself in the 1880s when a group of young men arrived from Blaenau Ffestiniog in North Wales, together with others from the coal mining districts of South Wales, and started work for Lewis Thomas. This community established a Welsh Church and choirs such as the Cambrian Choir. The first Welsh singing competition (the eisteddfod) was held in the Welsh Church on New Year's Day 1887.
|Address:||6 Thomas Street, United Welsh Church, Blackstone, 4304|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.623608|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1886|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1986|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1986|