Centenary of the Hutchins School Print Page
Plaque presented by the old boys commemorates the centenary of the establishment of the Hutchins School in 1846.
The Hutchins School was established in 1846 as a memorial to the Venerable William Hutchins. He was appointed the first Archdeacon of Tasmania in 1836 when Tasmania was created an Archdeaconry. The Archdeacon of Tasmania was Coadjutor to the Bishop of Australia, who had his headquarters in Sydney.
Bishop Broughton, the first Bishop of Australia, was responsible for the spiritual welfare of the whole continent, and Archdeacon Hutchins was his second in command. During the five years he occupied this position it is said that seventeen churches were erected in different parts of the island, mainly owing to his care and encouragement. He died suddenly on June 4, 1841, being seized with a fit of apoplexy.
On its 100th birthday anniversary, which occurred on Saturday, the Hutchins School, Hobart, began its new century by laying the foundation stone of the school chapel. The ceremony was performed by the Governor (Adm. Sir Hugh Binney). The site was consecrated and blessed by the Bishop of Tasmania (Rt. Rev. G. F. Cranswick). The official party included representatives of the Launceston Church of England Boys' Grammar School and the Archdeacon of Launceston (Ven. H. B. Atkinson). On Saturday morning, in a short ceremony, representatives of the school, including the Bishop, laid a wreath on the tomb of Archdeacon William Hutchins in St. David's Park. Archdeacon Hut chins took a leading part in the inaugural meetings of the Launceston Church Grammar School on May 14, 1838.
Examiner (Launceston, Tas), 5 August 1946.
|Address:||71 Nelson Road, The Hutchins School, Sandy Bay, 7005|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.90595|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1846|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1946|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 3rd August, 1946|
To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the Hutchins School
Established as a memorial to perpetuate the name of William Hutchins First Archdeacon of the Colony
Presented by Old Boys of the school
Unveiled by His Excellency Admiral Sir Hugh Binney KCB DSO Governor of Tasmania
3rd August 1946
Vivit Post Funera Virtus