www.monumentaustralia.org.au

APEX 50th AnniversaryPrint Page Print this page

APEX 50th Anniversary : 5-September-2011
APEX 50th Anniversary : 5-September-2011
Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of the APEX organisation. 

The first Apex Club was formed at Geelong in 1931 when three architects attempted to join the Rotary Club of Geelong. As Rotary has a rule restricting one profession to each club, the three architects - Ewan Laird, Langham Proud and John Buchan went on to form The Young Businessmen's Club of Geelong. After clubs were formed at Ballarat and Camperdown, The Association of Apex Clubs was formed, and the three clubs branded as "Apex".

 An Apex club is a community service club, neither sectarian nor party political, that provides young civic minded people the opportunity to volunteer within the community and develop personally through club run schemes such as public speaking competitions. Club members are volunteers aged between 18 and 45.

Location

Address:Gheringhap Street, Johnstone Park, Geelong, 3220
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.146503
Long: 144.357929
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event STart Date:10-March-1931
Actual Event End Date:10-March-1981

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th March, 1981
Front Inscription

             APEX
WAS FOUNDED IN GEELONG
10TH MARCH 1931

This plaque was unveiled by
The Right Worshipful The Mayor Of Geelong
Cr. D. J. PODBURY 
In The Presence Of The Founders
SIR JOHN BUCHAN C.M.G.  
EWEN LAIRD C.B.E.
LANGHAM PROUD C.B.E.
7th March 1981

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design