Bowral Association Band Print Page
A monument erected on the band's jubilee 1894-1944 to the memory of H.E.Jones (Founder), George E. Vincent (First Bandmaster ) 1894-1932. The names of later Bandmasters, Edgar V. Sweeney 1932-1948, 1972-1976, Leslie W.King 1948-1959, Gordon S. Ross 1959-1971, and Oliver S Edwards 1971-1972 were added until the band disbanded in 1976 after 80 years.
In January 1882 a Brass Band was formed and is believed to be the first cultural organisation in Bowral. The conductor was George Vincent and it had 16 members but it ceased in 1888 with a new band forming in 1889 that played in the streets on Christmas Day. This band continued until the Bowral Association Band was formed on the 19th of November 1894. G.E. Vincent, the son of the conductor in the first band, gave a great service to music in the Berrima District and was appointed bandmaster, which he did until his death in 1932.
On Sunday afternoon, in Corbett Gardens, Mr. Allan Fraser, M.P., unveiled a conductor's stand of beautiful trachyte erected by the bandsmen in memory of Mr. H. E. Jones, first president of the band, and Mr. George Vincent, its first bandmaster. There was a large gathering around the rotunda, where the memorial has been placed, and selections by the band were highly appreciated. The band had been increased to over thirty players by the addition of former bandsmen and of members on leave from the Services. Drum-Major Foley said they had met to commemorate the memory of two great men — Mr. H. E. Jones and Mr. George Vincent. Mr. Jones had founded the Association Band and Mr Vincent had been its bandmaster for thirty years. They had won the esteem of all the young members of the band, and many had travelled long distances to show their appreciation of their former leaders.
The Southern Mail (Bowral, NSW), 26 January 1945.
|Address:||Merrigang & Bendooley Streets, Corbett Gardens, Bowral, 2576|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: 34.479018|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1894|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1944|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 21st January, 1945|
TO THE MEMORY OF
GEORGE E. VINCENT
OF BOWRAL ASSOCIATION BAND
ERECTED BY THE BANDSMEN ON
THE BAND`S JUBILEE
GORDON S. ROSS
1959 - 1971
1971 - 1972
1972 - 1976
BOWRAL ASSOCIATION BAND
DISBANDED - 1976
AFTER OVER 80 YEARS
1894 - 1932
1932 - 1948
LESLIE W. KING
1948 - 1959