Lawson Park Print Page
Tablets erected at the entrance to the park in appreciation of those who assisted in the improvement of the park and the erection of the wall and fence in 1932-1933.
The official opening of the Lawson Park fence took place at 7.15 on Saturday evening before a very large crowd. Eulogistic references were made by speakers to the sterling work done by Mr E. A. Bartlett. Mr J. E. Loneragan. Mr W. J. Carmichael, Mr H. A. Lawson and many others in connection with the construction of the park, its fence and its entrance. The crowd showed its enthusiasm by applauding wholeheartedly whenever mention was made of the efforts of these gentlemen, and the ceremony, though short, will always be remembered as one of the most impressive ever witnessed by the citizens of Mudgee.
The Mayor continued that the entrance would stand as a monument to the skill and foresight of Mr Lawson, Mr Loneragan and Mr Carmichael, who were the first men to have the vision to see Lawson Park as the beauty spot of the State. (Applause). He announced that a long list of the names of the helpers would be placed inside a metal cylinder, the whole to be inserted in the pillar behind the tablet. Ald. Bartlett then placed the cylinder inside the pillar, set the tablet, and declared it well and truly laid. Cheers were asked for and lustily given. Mr W. J. Carmichael then unveiled the tablet on the left side of the entrance, dedicated to all those who helped in the construction of the park, stating that he was proud of the honor of doing this, and three cheers were again given by the audience.
Excerpt from Lawson Park Entrance Official Opening,
Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW),
10 October 1932.
|Address:||Church & Short Streets, Lawson Park, Mudgee, 2850|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.589744|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 8th October, 1932|
This Tablet Is Erected
In Appreciation Of The
Efforts Of All Who Assisted
In The Improvements To This Park.
LAWSON PARK WALL
— Built 1933 —
Mayor E.A. Bartlett 1928-1934
This Wall Was Built By Virtue Of A
Government Grant And Voluntary
Labour Gangs. The Stone Was Brought
From The Mt. Frome Quarries By Local
Farmers Using Their Clydesdales
— And Wagons .—
Was Laid By
E. A. BARTLETT
— Mayor —
8th October 1932
To Commemorate The Erection Of
This Fence Commenced 27th May 1932