The Garden Palace PlaquePrint Page
A plaque erected in 1979, originally located in the Pioneers Memorial Garden, commemorates the centenary of the opening of Sydney's first International Exhibition on the 17th September 1879 in the Garden Palace which was destroyed by fire in 1882.
Bronze plaque, incised letters with line drawing of the Garden Palace.
|Address:||Macquarie Street & Shakespeare Place, inset in footpath near Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.865504|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 16th September, 1979|
THE GARDEN PALACE
Built in the gardens close by for the 1879 Sydney International Exhibition, the Garden Palace was a spectacular sight. Its sudden destruction by fire in 1882 was equally spectacular.
This plaque is sponsored by Caltex
Commemorating Our Heritage. The New South Wales Government