The Glennie School CentenaryPrint Page
Founded in 1908, Glennie has operated on its present site on the west side of the City of Toowoomba since 1910.
‘Glennie’ so named, perpetuates the work of Archdeacon Benjamin Glennie, who first came to the Darling Downs in 1848 before the State of Queensland was established in 1859.
Benjamin Glennie (1812–1900) spent much of his life serving the spiritual needs of residents on the Darling Downs. He was also very concerned that educational facilities should be provided for the children of settlers.
Canon Glennie, as he then was, collected money where he could and sold vegetables he grew in his own garden. The money he acquired was given to the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane and used in 1898 to acquire the land on which the School now stands.
On 27 July 1908, Grace and Margaret Lawrance were invited to become the first co-principals when the Diocese of Brisbane acquired their school, St Alban’s College which had been established in the home of Mrs Cruise in Russell Street. Following Canon Glennie’s death, an endowment fund was established and became known as the Glennie Memorial School Fund. Under this title, the endowment fund attracted considerable public support and became the nucleus of the monies that built the ‘Glennie Memorial School’.
The original school building was dedicated on 10 August 1910 on its present site which was acquired by the Diocese in 1898.
|Address:||248-254 Herries Street, Toowoomba, 4350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.562433|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||27-July-1908|
|Actual Event End Date:||27-July-2008|
|Monument Manufacturer:||J.H.Wagner & Sons|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 10th August, 2008|
To Commemorate the Centenary Year of
The Glennie School
and dedicated to the memory of
Archdeacon Benjamin Glennie
visionary priest and pioneer of the
Darling Downs, in whose honour
The Glennie Memorial School
was named on 27 July 1908
10 August 2008