Gracemere School Centenary MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates the centenary of the school in 1971.
The memorial to mark the centenary of the school was initiated by the Parents and Citizens Association. Funds were raised in the usual manner employed by school committees and Mr Steve William Kele, builder of the Singing Ship at Emu Park was commissioned to design and construct the memorial. A curved and tapered concrete column carries the historic school bell, the "Ellida" Bell, which had summoned over 3000 children to lessons since the school opened. It was planned for the bell to be electrically operated but instead a rope was attached. A seven foot high boulder stands nearby and carries the plaque.
|Address:||1 O'Shanesy St, Gracemere State School, Gracemere, 4702|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.435591|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1871|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1971|
|Monument Designer:||Steve Kele|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1971|
1871 - 1971
BELL FROM KETCH "ELLIDA"
FIRST VESSEL TO NAVIGATE FITZROY RIVER 1855
BELL PRESENTED BY THE ARCHER FAMILY.