www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Magna Carta MonumentPrint Page Print this page

The Magna Carta Monument is a symbol of the special relationship between the peoples of Australia and Britain and is a commemoration of "freedom under law."  The site for the monument was dedicated on the 700th anniversary of the sealing by King Edward I of the 1297 issue of Magna Carta, an original copy of which is now on display in Parliament House. Funded through a national appeal and a generous gift from the British Government, the Magna Carta Monument is a Centenary of Federation gift to the people of Australia. 

In November 1996 Air Vice Marshal Desmond Hall, the President of the ACT Branch of the Australia-Britain Society, was invited to assume leadership of the group. This resulted in the formation of a committee of the Society under the chairmanship of Sir John Mason, with Air Vice Marshal Hall as executive vice chairman.

Two members of the committee, Major Desmond Woods and Dr John Gray, suggested Magna Carta as a theme for the proposed monument. This was agreed and the name Magna Carta Committee was adopted.

The National President of the Australia-Britain Society, Mrs Marjorie Turbayne MBE OAM and the Board of the Australia-Britain Society decided to make the Magna Carta monument the society's "Centenary of Federation project" and subsequently undertook to act as guarantor to the National Capital Authority for its cost. Meanwhile the committee began fund-raising and, in close association with the National Capital Authority, set to work to initiate a design competition for the monument in Australia and Britain.

A number of seats surround the monument.

 

Location

Address:Queen Victoria Terrace, Magna Carta Place, Parkes, 2600
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.30091
Long: 149.127169
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event STart Date:12-October-1297
Actual Event End Date:12-October-1997
Monument Designer:Alistair Falconer & Marcus Bree
Link:http://www.nationalcapital.gov.au/

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 12th October, 1997
Front Inscription

Plaque :
Magna Carta Place

This plaque proclaiming Magna Carta Place was unveiled by the Hon SIr Gerard Brennan AC KBE Chief Justice of Australia in 12 October 1997 the 700th anniversary of the sealing of the Magna Carta edition now owned by Australia

Plaque :

The Prime Minister of Australia the Honourable John Howard MP unveiled this plaque on 26 September 2001 to mark the completion of this monument to Magna Carta symbol of freedom under law

The Australia-Britain Society Centenary of Federation Project incorporating a Centenary of Federation gift from the Government of the United Kingdom

Source: MA,NC
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design