Fluoride MemorialPrint Page
Memorial celebrates the 50th Anniversary of Beaconsfield being the first town in Australia to introduce fluoride to the drinking water.
In 1953 a Beaconsfield Council chemist, Frank Grey, won his campaign to have the water-supply fortified. Mr Grey learned of the benefits of fluoride to oral health after reading of research in the United States.
|Address:||West Street, near Grubb Shaft Museum, Beaconsfield, 7270|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.20144|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1953|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2003|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2003|
The addition of a trace amountof fluoride to the water supply , which strengthens the teeth, forst began in Australia at Beaconsfield on the 30th September 1953. Mr. Frank Grey, chemist in charge of the water filtration plant, with the support of the Beaconsfield Municipal Council was instrumental in obtaining permission from the Director of Public Health, installing the equipment and monitoring the levels of fluoride.
Following the success of fluoridation at Beaconsfield in the prevention of dental decay, other regions followed. Today most Australians enjoy the benefit of flouridated water.
Plaque erected by the Australian Dental Association in gratitude to Mr Frank Grey, the Beaconsfield Municipal Council and the people of West Tamar in their role in the introduction of fluoride to Australia.
Opened on the 50th Anniversary of Fluoridation in Australia by
Cr Barry Eather Mayor West Tamar Council
Dr. David Houghton Federal President Australian Dental Association