www.monumentaustralia.org.au

New Bendigo Memorial Cemetery GatesPrint Page Print this page

29-April-2014
29-April-2014

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

Gates commemorate those who died on the New Bendigo goldfield from 1855 to 1858.

St Arnaud was originally known as New Bendigo (The New Bendigo Goldfield) following the discovery of gold in the area in early 1855. The cemetery was established then for the mining settlement and although there are no headstones remaining, nor grave mounds indicating where they lie, it is the final resting place of these miners and early pioneers. An old iron gate with a plaque dedicated to the miners, a white granite lintel bearing the name New Bendigo Cemetery above two concrete columns is all that remains of the cemetery. 

 

Location

Address:McQueen Road , New Bendigo Cemetery, St Arnaud North, 3478
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.593727
Long: 143.220739
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1855
Approx. Event End Date:1858

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 16th October, 1955
Front Inscription

NEW BENDIGO CEMETERY

To The Memory Of
Those Who Died
On The
NEW BENDIGO GOLDFIELD
1855 - 1858

‘And Some There Be Who Have No Memorial’.

Source: MA,VMR,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design