Australian Natives Association CentenaryPrint Page
Bronze plaque presented to the Kew City Council to commemorate the centenary of the ANA in 1971.
The Australian Natives’ Association (ANA) was established in Melbourne in 1871. It was founded as a friendly society whose membership was open to Australian-born males only. It gradually established city and country branches in Victoria. The ninth branch to be formed was in Charters Towers, Queensland in 1879. By 1901, a total of 205 branches had been formed.
In the late nineteenth century the ANA actively promoted the cause of federation of the Australian colonies. Australia’s first two Prime Ministers, Sir Edmund Barton and Sir Alfred Deakin, were members of the ANA, as was Australia’s first Australian-born Governor-General, Sir Isaac Isaacs.
|Address:||Cotham Road & Civic Drive, Kew Municipal Library, Kew, 3101|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.807667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1871|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1971|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1971|