www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Old St. Patrick`s Collegians SocietyPrint Page Print this page

A plaque commemorates the 75th anniversary of the Old St. Patrick`s Collegians Society. The plaque is near the tower which is all that remains of St. Patrick`s College.

St Patrick's College was an independent Catholic schoo in Melbourne, Victoria from 1854 until 1968. It was the second independent school and the first Catholic secondary school in Victoria founded with a government grant of £2,500. In 1865, following financial difficulties, it was transferred to the care of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). The school became immediately important to the intellectual and spiritual life of the Catholic community of Victoria and remained so for its existence.

The school was shut down at the end of 1968 in order to provide space for a new Catholic diocesan chancery.  After significant public opposition the buildings were demolished in 1970. Over 5000 students attended the school between its foundation and closure. The St Patrick's Old Collegians' Association continues to exist. 

Location

Address:Lansdowne Street & Cathedral Place, East Melbourne, 3002
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.81076
Long: 144.977966
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Source: VMR, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design