Artists Camp of Heidelberg SchoolPrint Page
A sculpture `The Performers` commemorates the centenary of the Box Hill Artists Camp.
The Box Hill artists’ camp was a site in Box Hill, Victoria, Australia favoured for plein air painting in the late 1880s by a group of artists who were part of a movement that later became known as the Heidelberg School.
In the summer of 1885/86, Tom Roberts and Frederick McCubbin set up a tent on the site near Damper Creek (now Gardiners Creek) on the property of David Houston, about a mile south of the railway station. At this time the area was relatively untouched bush.
|Address:||Station Street, Box Hill Mall, Box Hill, 3128|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.819222|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1885|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1985|
|Monument Designer:||Anthony Pryor|
This artwork commemorates the centenary of the founding of the Box Hill Artists' Camp on the banks of Gardiners Creek, Box Hill South in 1885.
Unveiled by Councillor Ian Buckingham,Chairman - Box Hill Art Advisory Committee.
Sculptor - Anthony Pryor.