Charles Darwin VisitPrint Page
A Memorial commemorates Charles Darwin`s two day visit to the Wallerawang area in 1836.
Lithgow sculptor Tim Johnman applied his considerable talents to the finishing touches on the restoration of the Charles Darwin monument at Lake Wallace in 2008 . Tim created an extremely lifelike platypus and crayfish combination to add to the monument. He also replaced the brass plaque commemorating the historic visit to the Wallerawang area by Charles Darwin in 1836. The original plaque was stolen and its replacement and subsequent enhancement of the monument was commissioned by the district branch of the National Trust
Wallerawang became a major stopover for those headed between Sydney and the farming areas beyond Mudgee and for those travelling between Sydney and Bathurst. One of the latter was famous natural historian Charles Darwin who stayed overnight at `Wallerawang` farm in 1836 as a guest of Mr Brown. Charles Darwin stayed at "Wallerowang House" (later to become Barton Park) in 1836, and in the book "Voyage of the Beagle" he describes the area at the time and the wildlife that included a number of platypus.
|Address:||Barton Avenue, Charles Darwin Park, Lake Wallace, Wallerawang, 2845|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.414103|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Tim Johnman (restoration)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 5th September, 2006|
The famous scientist Charles Darwin visited to NSW from 12 January to 30 January 1836 during his voyage in the "Beagle." He was aged 26.
From 18 to 20 January Charles Darwin stayed at James Walke`s homestead "Wallerawang" the site of which is now submerged in the lake in front of this monument.
His biological studies in Wallerawang, including the examination of a platypus, were among the most important of his entire voyage and significant to his development of his theory on the origin of species.
This monument commemorates Charles Darwin's visit to NSW, his time in Wallerawang and his contribution to science.
This plaque was unveiled by
Her Excellency Professor Marie Bashir AC CVO
Governor of New South Wales
On 5 September 2006
The monument was erected by the
Lithgow Branch of the National Trust of Australia (NSW)
with the support of the Lithgow City Council
and Delta Electricity
John Wellings OAM President National Trust
Councillor Neville Castle Mayor Lithgow City Council
Stephen Saladine General Manager Delta Electricity